Lucia and Stefano are proud to introduce their residence, born to make their guests dream….
In Tuscany, in the area of Barberino Val d’Elsa, on the summit of a hill, 310 metres above sea level, lies a group of houses and a luxury villa which preserve the name of the ancient “Castello di Cortine” (Castle of Cortine), attested to it in 1037. The word “Cortine” comes from neo-Latin; from the term “curtis” meaning court.
This very ancient Tuscan castle stands among vineyards, olive groves and woods on the watershed of the rivers Elsa and Pesa valleys. Here, the silent magical treasure of 1000 years of collaboration between a generous soil and an extraordinary line of descendants is preserved.
During the Middle Ages Cortine was an important meeting point between Florence and the Via Francigena to Rome; it lies very close to the scene of the deadly duel between the council powers of Florence and the aristocratic pride of Semifonte.
In 1260 the people of Cortine were forced to contribute an onerously high quantity of their precious grain to support the Florentine army in their Montaperti campaign. As a result the small village church later became enriched with beautiful works of art, four of which are presently preserved at the Museum of Tavarnelle.
It was only in 1774, by virtue of a Grand Ducal regulation, that the people of ‘San Lorenzo a Cortine’ became incorporated into the Community of Barberino Val D’Elsa.
The Coat of Arms of the Falciani and Fusi families, which counter-distinguish the local fruits of agriculture and craftsmanship chosen for guests at the Canonica di Cortine, pays homage to the forefathers of Lucia and Stefano who, for many generations, by hard work and an instinctive love for perfection, contributed to creating the finest landscapes and products from our own Chianti’s oil.
Oh guests of this ancient abode! Now it’s the time to lose yourselves in these surrounding lands, rich in Etruscan history and memories of Roman conquerors.